I'm repsonsible for the website for BoulderPuppies.org.
If your message had a specific question in it, you should get a response within 48 hours. That's our goal. Until then, I hope the below information helps you.
The Process for Becoming a Guide Dog Raiser
- Print out the volunteer application from the Guide Dog's website. Please print it out, fill it out, and give it to Heidi.
- Start reading the Puppy Raising Manual and watching training videos.
- Come to a meeting. Introduce yourself to our primary leader, Heidi Grimditch, and give her the application.
- After you've attended three meetings, if you are still itnerested, Heidi will schedule a home visit.
- After the home visit, you can start puppy sitting.
- After the home visit, you'll get an account on our website and you'll be added to the appropriate mailing lists.
- Continue to explore our website: BoulderPuppies.org
- After you've puppy sat, if you're still interested in puppy raising, fill out a Raiser application.
- Keep puppy sitting while you wait for your puppy.
- After your puppy comes, you need to attend all meetings until your puppy is 6 months of age. Then, you still need to attend at least two meetings a month.
Learning How to Train a Puppy
Learning how to train a puppy is what the club is about. The five primary sources of education and help are:
- Group training sessions at the meetings
- The puppy raising manual
- Training videos
- The leaders
- Other club members
I look forward to meeting you and your family at a future meeting!
Thanks for your interest Guide Dogs for the Blind!