Do you want to raise a Guide Dog Puppy? If you meet this puppy raiser requirements, then these are the steps to get a puppy.
Before you attend any puppy meetings, make sure we're the closest group to you. There are several puppy clubs in Colorado. For an accurate, up-to-date listing of guide dog puppy clubs in Colorado, go to the donate to a club link at Guide Dogs and scroll through the list of active clubs. Here is the list as of July 18, 2011.
- Boulder Guide Dog Puppies (this web site and club)
- Denver Eye Paws (Jefferson)
- Dogs With Vision (Arapahoe)
- Have Paws Will Travel (Arapahoe)
- Liberty on Leashes (Aurora)
- Sidekicks for Sight (Douglas)
Two to four puppy meetings occur each month. "Baby" puppies, that is, puppies four months old and younger, meet each week. Older puppies meet twice a month. Check the calendar to find out when the next meeting is.
Ask for an application at a meeting. Or you can send an email to one of the puppy club contacts asking for an application to be mailed to you.
Go to the Guide Dogs website.
- Register for an account.
- Click on "Volunteer" on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Click on "Puppy Raising Interest Form" under Volunteer Applications on the right-hand side of the screen. Guide Dogs will send you more information and a larger application.
One of the club's guide dog leaders comes out to your house for a home visit. The leader helps point out areas of the house that are puppy safe, areas that aren't, and gives you management ideas
Before you committ to and receive a Guide Dog Puppy, you need to babysit. Puppy sitting is good for the puppies and it's good for you.
- The puppy learns that the rules are the same in many houses.
- You can try it out before you committ. Raising a guide dog puppy is a LOT more work than raising a puppy.
After you've registered at Guide Dogs, had your home visit, and have puppy sat a few times, let the puppy club leaders know you're ready for a puppy.
Puppies come out from California on the puppy truck. Colorado puppy people meet, and the puppies come off the truck one by one.